Flooding on Scott Road

• Welcome to RMO. You are viewing Rancho Murieta's largest forum as a guest. Sign up for a free account today. Members are allowed to post to the forums and send private messages. Signing up is easy, fast, and free. Registered users also browse RMO with no ads

Sue Frost

County Supervisor
Jan 25, 2017
Earlier this year I promised the readers of Rancho Murieta Online that I would work tirelessly to fix, among other things, the flooding issue that continually plagues Scott Road. Having never experienced the problem personally, I was shocked to learn not only the inconvenience that this problem causes for the residents of Rancho Murieta, but the amount of times that it happens on a yearly basis. The status quo is not acceptable, so I resolved to help make the Scott Road flooding issue a “squeaky wheel” to give it more attention and move it up on the list of priorities.

I first started by checking where the project was in the queue for updates. To my surprise, this issue was not in the docket, so I promptly got it on there. That was the easy part; the hard part was getting it funding.

Soon after (in June) I learned of something called the “Hazard Mitigation Grant” run by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) that had a submittal date of August, and with so little time available we had to act fast. FEMA came to Sacramento County and immediately asked for a hydraulic study, plans, specifications, estimates, and an environmental document. In lightning speed, those documents were completed and submitted by the deadline.

Unfortunately, we missed out on the funding we applied for. In response to this, I got a commitment that Sacramento County will be pushing hard to get other funding for this over the next funding cycle in 2018, and I’ll be working to secure whatever I can. But I’m not content to watch this problem happen again this rainy season, so I tried to look at this problem from a different angle.

While the ultimate problem is that the road is flooding, a smaller, but very real problem, is that drivers are not being given information early enough that the road is closed. So I made sure that whenever the road is closed moving forward, a sign will be placed at the corner of Stonehouse Road and Jackson Highway that will notify drivers that Scott Road is impassable. This will at least reduce some of the time that is wasted by drivers who are unsure of the accessibility of the road.

I know this issue isn’t solved, and I won’t let up until it’s permanently fixed. But while I wasn’t able to replace the “squeaky wheel” on Scott Road just yet, at least we got it a small amount of grease in the meantime. It will take some more time, but you have my word that we are going to fix this problem.

Thank you for reading – and as always, if you want to contact me, call me at 916-874-5491, e-mail me at [email protected], or simply reply in the comments.

Matthew

Administrator
Staff member
Resident
1K+ Likes
Mar 8, 2007
Rancho Murieta South
Thank you, Supervisor Frost. As you stated this has been an issue for us every year. Last winter was particularly bad. We appreciate your efforts and the direct communication.

dreamliner

Resident
1K+ Likes
Jun 26, 2008
Earlier this year I promised the readers of Rancho Murieta Online that I would work tirelessly to fix, among other things, the flooding issue that continually plagues Scott Road. Having never experienced the problem personally, I was shocked to learn not only the inconvenience that this problem causes for the residents of Rancho Murieta, but the amount of times that it happens on a yearly basis. The status quo is not acceptable, so I resolved to help make the Scott Road flooding issue a “squeaky wheel” to give it more attention and move it up on the list of priorities.

I first started by checking where the project was in the queue for updates. To my surprise, this issue was not in the docket, so I promptly got it on there. That was the easy part; the hard part was getting it funding.

Soon after (in June) I learned of something called the “Hazard Mitigation Grant” run by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) that had a submittal date of August, and with so little time available we had to act fast. FEMA came to Sacramento County and immediately asked for a hydraulic study, plans, specifications, estimates, and an environmental document. In lightning speed, those documents were completed and submitted by the deadline.

Unfortunately, we missed out on the funding we applied for. In response to this, I got a commitment that Sacramento County will be pushing hard to get other funding for this over the next funding cycle in 2018, and I’ll be working to secure whatever I can. But I’m not content to watch this problem happen again this rainy season, so I tried to look at this problem from a different angle.

While the ultimate problem is that the road is flooding, a smaller, but very real problem, is that drivers are not being given information early enough that the road is closed. So I made sure that whenever the road is closed moving forward, a sign will be placed at the corner of Stonehouse Road and Jackson Highway that will notify drivers that Scott Road is impassable. This will at least reduce some of the time that is wasted by drivers who are unsure of the accessibility of the road.

I know this issue isn’t solved, and I won’t let up until it’s permanently fixed. But while I wasn’t able to replace the “squeaky wheel” on Scott Road just yet, at least we got it a small amount of grease in the meantime. It will take some more time, but you have my word that we are going to fix this problem.

Thank you for reading – and as always, if you want to contact me, call me at 916-874-5491, e-mail me at [email protected], or simply reply in the comments.
Supervisor Frost,
To assist you and the County in efforts "to get other funding for this over the next funding cycle in 2018", I asked Department of Water Resources to update its logs and records regarding historical flooding at Scott Road x Deer Creek crossing. Specifically this was to assist the County, and perhaps FEMA with an updated datum necessary for revised plans and estimates to be submitted in those 2018 funding requests. Ms. Huber, engineer, from the County Department of Water Resources promptly responded and corrected those logs and records, per emails below (updated lower record high from some 10 years earlier/April 2006, to164.5', 2.63' above flood stage reached just last flood season 12-15-2016).
Note solution to this flooding problem continues to be an an urgent priority safety issue: now into the 2017/2018 flood season, we have experienced Scott Road x Deer Creek Crossing flooding and closing, most recently with more than 1- 1/2 feet above flood stage of rushing water over the top of Scott roadway; 163.43' 0800 pst 01-08-18.
Also, can you post a brief summary of the plans and estimate provided FEMA in that last August submittal; such as, was cost estimate well below that touted much earlier figure of $9 million for fancy new bridge, with a down-scoped simpler fix such as elevating the earthen roadway at that crossing by 3-4 feet and installing larger diameter/more culverts?
As always, as our District Supervisor, your personal attention to our community's top concerns are refreshing and greatly appreciated.

RELATED EMAILS
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 5:51 AM
To: WR-Sacflood Alert
Subject: Scott Road x Deer Creek crossing

Your log for flooding at Scott Road Deer Creek crossing lists record high of 164.10 ft. 4/3/2006.
I believe this record high was greatly exceeded in the 2016/2017 flood season. Can the logged/recorded levels for that period be reviewed and this reference "high" updated?
Thank you, a frequent Scott Road x Deer Creek crossing commuter.
(dreamliner)
Rancho Murieta

-----Original Message-----
To: <dreamliner>
Sent: Tue, Jan 9, 2018 11:45 am
Subject: RE: Scott Road x Deer Creek crossing
Yes, I’ll look at last years’ data and update as needed.
Heidi A. Huber
Assistant Engineer - Drainage | Department of Water Resources
827 Seventh Street, Room 301 | Sacramento, CA 95814
Office: (916) 874-8650 | Fax: (916) 874-8693
www.waterresources.saccounty.net

County of Sacramento Email Disclaimer: This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by other than the County of Sacramento or the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.

(dreamliner) To huberh [email protected]
Sent: Tue, Jan 9, 2018
Heidi,
Thank You for your prompt attention and reply.
(dreamliner)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018
I travel on Scott Rd. regularly. I use the Sac Flood website to see if Scott Rd is flooded. go to www.sacflood.org then under the system wide column, click on system wide, then scroll down to Scott Rd. It will show in red if flooded, yellow if cautionary and give exact readings. The other night the site said it was open and yet there were road blocks at both ends of Scott Rd. A passing vehicle coming toward me stopped and confirmed that it was open. So much for the signs. The web site is nearly real time. About a 10 minute delay usually. Bookmark the page and good luck.

Jan 17, 2018
To Administrator. Is there a way I can change settings to always show latest post at top. It is a pain to scroll through all previous posts to get to the newer posts. Thanks, jpr.

Matthew

Administrator
Staff member
Resident
1K+ Likes
Mar 8, 2007
Rancho Murieta South
I travel on Scott Rd. regularly. I use the Sac Flood website to see if Scott Rd is flooded. go to www.sacflood.org then under the system wide column, click on system wide, then scroll down to Scott Rd. It will show in red if flooded, yellow if cautionary and give exact readings. The other night the site said it was open and yet there were road blocks at both ends of Scott Rd. A passing vehicle coming toward me stopped and confirmed that it was open. So much for the signs. The web site is nearly real time. About a 10 minute delay usually. Bookmark the page and good luck.
RMO uses the same site (www.sacflood.org) to pull its information. The pulling of the data is 100% automated. RMO will automatically display a yellow banner at the top of every page when Scott Rd is at warning stage and a red banner when it's at flood stage. You will see something like this on every page:

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 10.34.30 AM.png

You can also sign up to receive an automated text message when Scott Rd reaches flood stage and another when it is no longer at flood stage.

Matthew

Administrator
Staff member
Resident
1K+ Likes
Mar 8, 2007
Rancho Murieta South
To Administrator. Is there a way I can change settings to always show latest post at top. It is a pain to scroll through all previous posts to get to the newer posts. Thanks, jpr.
There is no way (currently) to sort the posts within a thread. You can, however, jump to the last unread post by clicking "JUMP TO NEW" at the top of the thread.

screenshot-ranchomurietaonline.com-2018-01-17-10-38-08-941.png

BethB

Resident
1K+ Likes
Mar 23, 2007
bbuderus.avonrepresentative.com
Supervisor Frost,
I think I may have mentioned this before, but I would like to see some sort of permanent marker at the Deer Creek flood area which would indicate how high the water level is. Obviously it will need to be made of concrete or something that will not wash away with the water flow.

Now the down side, I guess, would be even if you have such a marker to say the water is 6 inches above, or 12 inches above street level...this will not prevent someone willing to risk driving through. But at least it would give us an idea how bad it is.

Luke

Resident
1K+ Likes
Oct 10, 2007
Rancho Murieta
LOL Beth. I remember a photo a few years ago on .com, I think, that showed some guy trying to cross the deer creek bridge on Kiefer with water about 2/3s the way up the stop sign. If that is not an indication of the depth of the water that would deter someone, I don't know what is.

I go to Folsom pretty much everyday - sometimes twice a day - and have learned just to go to Grant Line if Scott Road is at all flooded. It only takes an extra few minutes, but beats the hassle of venturing down to Deer Creek and having to turn around. Some sort of signage about Scott Rd. being open or closed at Stonehouse and Jackson would help tremendously in avoiding an unnecessary trip.

Matthew

Administrator
Staff member
Resident
1K+ Likes
Mar 8, 2007
Rancho Murieta South
I go to Folsom pretty much everyday - sometimes twice a day - and have learned just to go to Grant Line if Scott Road is at all flooded. It only takes an extra few minutes, but beats the hassle of venturing down to Deer Creek and having to turn around. Some sort of signage about Scott Rd. being open or closed at Stonehouse and Jackson would help tremendously in avoiding an unnecessary trip.
Well, now you can just get a text message from RMO. :) I am actually surprised how many people have signed up already.

dreamliner

Resident
1K+ Likes
Jun 26, 2008
Well, now you can just get a text message from RMO. :) I am actually surprised how many people have signed up already.
What if some don't have texting? I know, out of it, tough. Can we signup for your Pony Express message delivery service instead? :oldman:
How about a sign at the exits of both the north and south? I would be happy to have the script text security and they could change the signs.
That would work for Murietans exiting the gates; still would be helpful also for all, to have real-time simple electronic signs at both ends of Scott; i.e Whiterock and Stonehouse x Jackson plus Latrobe x Jackson. Believe the sensor(s) at Deer Creek Crossing directly wi-fi the stream level data real-time to the County flood link, so perhaps simple/austere receivers could be placed at those end points and the gate exits, alerting to flooding. The placing of manual signs/closures at those end points now is a step forward, yet is hit or miss depending on who places/retrieves the signs and the timeliness of that effort. Just thoughts.

Matthew

Administrator
Staff member
Resident
1K+ Likes
Mar 8, 2007
Rancho Murieta South
That would work for Murietans exiting the gates; still would be helpful also for all, to have real-time simple electronic signs at both ends of Scott; i.e Whiterock and Stonehouse x Jackson plus Latrobe x Jackson. Believe the sensor(s) at Deer Creek Crossing directly wi-fi the stream level data real-time to the County flood link, so perhaps simple/austere receivers could be placed at those end points and the gate exits, alerting to flooding. The placing of manual signs/closures at those end points now is a step forward, yet is hit or miss depending on who places/retrieves the signs and the timeliness of that effort. Just thoughts.
I agree. I assume the county will want to follow official channels, but I am happy to help set this up. An outdoor sign with cellar data could get this information and automatically post the status of Scott Rd. Rough guess, but I would say that could be done for $1500 per sign (my labor is free). I could involve a couple of friends and we can deploy an Arduino solution for the cost of the equipment.

Last edited:

Matthew

Administrator
Staff member
Resident
1K+ Likes
Mar 8, 2007
Rancho Murieta South
What if some don't have texting? I know, out of it, tough. Can we signup for your Pony Express message delivery service instead?
Well . . . :) I could email too, but I doubt that is a timely solution. It's been awhile since I was in the telecom industry, but I could probably code the script to place a voice call too. Then again who doesn't have text messaging these days? :rolleyes-45:

dreamliner

Resident
1K+ Likes
Jun 26, 2008
Well . . . :) I could email too, but I doubt that is a timely solution. It's been awhile since I was in the telecom industry, but I could probably code the script to place a voice call too. Then again who doesn't have text messaging these days? :rolleyes-45:
'tween you and I, isn't this a FSIS violation? :rolleyes-45:

dreamliner

Resident
1K+ Likes
Jun 26, 2008
I agree. I assume the county will want to follow official channels, but I am happy to help set this up. An outdoor sign with cellar data could get this information and automatically post the status of Scott Rd. Rough guess, but I would say that could be done for $1500 per sign (my labor is free). I could involve a couple of friends and we can deploy an Arduino solution for the cost of the equipment.
Seriously Matt, great idea and you certainly have the technical knowledge to make this happen. Suggest you package the idea with a cost-effective proposal to the County, and perhaps they could use this set-up here as an experiment/model to determine if it should be effected as a real-time visual alert system at all County-wide flood points and associated end points; this is a priority safety issue. Also, you should include reasonable reimbursement for your time/labor and expenses in this very worthwhile proposal.

Sue Frost

County Supervisor
Jan 25, 2017
dreamliner,

Thank you for your help on this. I have taken the data you helped secure and am going to be discussing this directly with the head department of transportation this week - hopefully your numbers can help get a solution here.

I will also request I be given the figure for how much the less expensive "fix" is. I'll check in when I get info.

Thanks again!

~Sue