Marcia Courson does not represent Rancho Murieta

• Welcome to RMO. You are viewing Rancho Murieta's largest forum as a guest. Sign up for a free account today. Members are allowed to post to the forums and send private messages. Signing up is easy, fast, and free. Registered users also browse RMO with no ads

Matthew

Administrator
Staff member
Resident
1K+ Likes
Mar 8, 2007
Rancho Murieta South
I can't believe someone allowed Marcia Courson to publish that despicable article. It's should have never been published, but to say she is a columnist for a weekly paper in Rancho Murieta is not accurate. The River Valley Times is mailed to homes in Sloughhouse, Rancho Murieta, and Wilton. We do not subscribe to the newspaper, it's forced on us like other junk mail. It hits the recycling bin as soon as it arrives in my home. Here is the SacBee article.

'Black men might be better off at home,' local columnist writes after Stephon Clark shooting

A columnist for a weekly paper in Rancho Murieta, a gated community southeast of Sacramento, drew social media condemnation Friday after suggesting that black men should stay in their houses after dark in the wake of the Stephon Clark shooting.

"Police have to be careful not to overreact, and you black men might be better off at home after a certain hour," columnist Marcia Courson wrote in her most recent piece for The River Valley Times, a community newspaper owned by Herburger Publications.

"(W)e need to ask ourselves before overreacting or advocating reduction of these shootings — Do we really understand why a shooting occurred?" Courson wrote in another part of the column.

The column was about the difficulty of understanding the news, and having an ability to affect outcomes in some situations, including the Clark shooting.
The SacBee reporter Anita Chabria apparently either could not be bothered to do her homework or felt that associating Courson's racist remarks to a predominantly white gated community would better fit a narrative. The River Valley Times article is racist trash and the SacBee's article is trying to spin it to fit a narrative.

pingtheduck

eep oop ork ah-ah
Staff member
Resident
1K+ Likes
Jul 21, 2007
www.youtube.com
I saw on rm.com that there is a petition to have Marcia Courson removed as an RVT columnist.

https://www.change.org/p/kerri-hock-river-valley-times-dismiss-marcia-courson

I signed it. There is no place for racist comments like that.
Dear Sweet Jesus. It IS time for Marcia to move on. I can't believe no one caught this and I'm actually sorry I didn't know the opportunity to go unedited has slipped by me all these years. Lol. Crazy bad reporting on Sac Bee's part. Adding Rancho Murieta's demographics was bs click bait and nothing more. It's this kind of reporting that adds to the murky distractions and detracts from solving the actual issues. Shame on Anita Chabria for making it all that much worse.

Matthew

Administrator
Staff member
Resident
1K+ Likes
Mar 8, 2007
Rancho Murieta South
The people defending Marcia Courson just because they sit on the same side of the political aisle are not doing anyone any favors. The left likes to portray the right as racists and her defenders are simply giving them more reasons to promote that narrative. When someone makes a racist comment we need to call them on it regardless of their political affiliation.

I don't know Marcia Courson and I have never read her columns (until this one). She has every right to her opinion, but we also have every right to call her out for it. The RVT has positioned her column as the "Rancho Murieta Opinion" and other media outlets portray the RVT as a "Rancho Murieta Newspaper". Neither is accurate and makes our community look like something it's not.

courson-column.jpg

We need to hold the columnist and the paper accountable because you have self-proclaimed "social justice reporters" like Anita Chabria, the SacBee reporter that started all of this, that only want to drive a specific narrative instead of trying to be a factual reporter. When I pressed her on it she said it's a Rancho Murieta Newspaper because the RVT "highlights" Rancho Murieta in their advertising guide. I guess when facts get in the way of your narrative a good social justice reporter just skips the facts.

Martha

We Believe.
Resident
1K+ Likes
Mar 30, 2007
I just read the article. I typically don't. She doesn't entertain or intrigue me. That said, her opinion, starting from the 'headline' (she said 'effect' and 'affect' is the word, I believe, she was looking for), had typos. What if "you black men" should have been "young black men." I sure don't see how this got so sideways, but I'm sick of reading about it, and hearing about it.

Martha

We Believe.
Resident
1K+ Likes
Mar 30, 2007
Effect = result. "Wearing sneakers instead of heels had a great effect on my ability to run that marathon." (full disclosure...there is NOTHING that would allow me to run a marathon!!)

Affect = influence. "Planting flowers in that eyesore plot of land may affect the other neighbors to tend to their own yards." (or summin' like that...)

Can we all just move along? Good gracious...looked at the first two pages of the RVT...it's run it's course people. Let it go...

Mama Mia

Staff member
Resident
1K+ Likes
Apr 25, 2007
Effect = result. "Wearing sneakers instead of heels had a great effect on my ability to run that marathon." (full disclosure...there is NOTHING that would allow me to run a marathon!!)

Affect = influence. "Planting flowers in that eyesore plot of land may affect the other neighbors to tend to their own yards." (or summin' like that...)

Can we all just move along? Good gracious...looked at the first two pages of the RVT...it's run it's course people. Let it go...
AMEN !!!!!!!